Lemon Meringue Eclairs
This recipe comes is from "Food For My Family!" and was remixed to include Rader Products. Check them out for more great recipes.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Ravifruit lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
OR - For quick filling mix use
For the pastry:
For the meringue:
To make the pastry cream,(If using individual ingredients)
- Place the milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons butter, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir to combine, and slowly bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, and the arrowroot powder until combined.
- While whisking, slowly add some of the hot milk mixture to the eggs to temper. Continue doing this until about half of the milk mixture has been added and the eggs are warm to the touch.
- Now add the tempered eggs to the saucepan and the remaining milk mixture while whisking.
- Return the saucepan to medium heat and cook, whisking continuously, until the mixture boils. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and the extract. Transfer the pastry cream to a chilled bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly on the cream to avoid a skin forming on the top. Chill.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425ºF. Then reduce the oven temperature to 375ºF and continue baking for 20-25 minutes, until pastries are golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the meringue by whipping the egg whites and the cream of tartar together until frothy. Slowly add in the sugar and continue to whip until thick and glossy with stiff peaks.
To make Quick Filling mix
- Follow instructions on Elfroy Mix packaging
- Combine with Lemon compound for flavoring
To fill the éclairs,
- Place the pastry cream in a pastry bag fitted with a filling tip or a thin metal round tip (a #3 or #4 works well). Use a wooden skewer or the tip of a small knife and create two holes on the bottom of both sides of the éclairs.
- Insert the tip into one hole and fill. Repeat on the other side until the pastry is full.
- Follow instructions on meringue express packaging
- Top the filled éclairs with the meringue express
Source: Food For My Family