Chocolate Orange Italian Cassata
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ flour
- ¾ shortbread cookie crumbs
- Cream the butter and sugar on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes with an electric mixer. Mix in the flour and cookie crumbs. In a 12 inch springform pan, press mixture into the bottom of the pan slightly up the sides. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Place a cookie sheet lined with foil on rack below springform pan. Cool completely before adding the ricotta filling
- Mix ricotta and flour together by hand. Add the sugar, flour, salt, vanilla and amaretto and mix on medium speed. Mix in the eggs one at a time, carefully do not overbeat the egg mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips, grated orange peel, and candied orange peel.
- Pour into the 12 inch cooled springform pan with the shortbread crust. Place a broiler pan with ¾ to 1 inch water in the 350 oven. Set the springform pan in the broiler pan and bake for 1 ¼ hours. Insert a toothpick in the center, if there is still wet filling on toothpick bake another 5 minutes. Cool on a baking rack for 1.5 to 2 hours or until completely cool. Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours, serve chilled. Garnish with fresh orange peel for decoration.
Note – wrap the bottom part of springform pan with foil to prevent any water seeping into the bottom of the springform pan.
SERVES: Approx 12 slices