- A basket of mangos is considered a gesture of friendship in India
- According to legend Buddha meditated under the cool shade of a mango tree
- Mangos are actually related to cashews and pistachios
- Spanish explorers brought mangos to South America and Mexico in the 1600’s. The first attempt to introduce the mango into the U.S. came in 1833 to Florida
- Mangos are the most popular fruit in the world
- Mangos were first grown in India over 5,000 years ago
Tips and Tricks
• An average large mango will weigh about 1 pound and yield about 1 3/4 cups diced fruit.
• Mango juice can stain your clothing, so be careful when using one.
• If you are allergic to poison oak or poison ivy, you may also be allergic to the skin/sap of a mango. Be sure to use gloves. Fortunately, the peeled fruit or internal juice from the fruit usually causes no allergic reactions. To be safe check with your doctor.